Classification of enterprises
An enterprise shall be classified as a micro, small or medium enterprise based on the following criteria.
(i) A Micro-Enterprise, where the investment in plant and machinery or equipment does not exceed Rs.1 Crore and turnover does not exceed Rs.5 Crore.
(ii) A Small Enterprise, where the investment in plant and machinery or equipment does not exceed Rs.10 Crore and turnover does not exceed Rs.50 Crore.
(iii) A Medium Enterprise, where the investment in plant and machinery or equipment does not exceed Rs.50 Crore and turnover does not exceed Rs. 250 Crore.
Becoming a micro, small or medium enterprise
(1) Any person who intends to establish a micro, small or medium enterprise may file Udyam Registration online in the Udyam Registration portal, based on self-declaration with no requirement to upload documents, papers, certificates or proof.
(2) On registration, an enterprise (referred to as ―Udyam‖ in the Udyam Registration portal) will be assigned a permanent identification number to be known as ―Udyam Registration Number‖.
(3) An e-certificate, namely, ―Udyam Registration Certificate‖ shall be issued on completion of the registration process.
Composite criteria of investment and turnover for classification
(1) A composite criterion of investment and turnover shall apply for classification of an enterprise as micro, small, or medium.
(2) If an enterprise crosses the ceiling limits specified for its present category in either of the two criteria of investment or turnover, it will cease to exist in that category and be placed in the next higher category but no enterprise shall be placed in the lower category unless it goes below the ceiling limits specified for its present category in both the criteria of investment as well as turnover.
(3) All units with Goods and Services Tax Identification Number (GSTIN) listed against the same Permanent Account Number (PAN) shall be collectively treated as one enterprise and the turnover and investment figures for all of such entities shall be seen together and only the aggregate values will be considered for deciding the category as a micro, small or medium enterprise.